Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A small bump in the road

I noticed last night that I was getting short of breath when I got up to use the bathroom (about 5 times). It felt like the ol' PH days. I didn't exactly freak out, but I was worried. I told my docs in the morning and they didn't even seem phased by it at all. I guess 2-3 weeks out there is some mucus that can build up at the bottom of the lungs and cause SOB. I am doing some nebulizers, I get to do wiggle/ jiggle again (YAY), I did an Echocardiogram and a sonogram of my legs (checking for clots). My chest x-ray looked good, so chances are it's just mucus buildup. If I can't clear it on my own over the next few days they'll do a bronchoscopy and suck the mucus out while I'm in la-la land. It's not exactly a fun procedure and we'd like to avoid it if possible. I am excited to hear about my echo! It was SO crazy to see the right side of my heart so SMALL. The tech was excited for me as my heart looked fantastic. My surgeon later stopped by and was so excited that my ejection fraction for the left side of my heart is 50%! Normal starts at 53%, so that is really good considering what my heart went through a little over 2 weeks ago! I hope it continues to improve as I continue to heal. The 3 nebulizer treatments helped A LOT and I feel like I can breathe like before. Jeff was great and brought me some shave cream and a razor so I could shave my scary legs. I realized after I had shaved both legs that I had been bent over the whole time and never got short of breath! What an awesome realization! Amanda stopped by and brought me some mascara and an eyelash curler. Tomorrow I am using them so I look a little better :-) Sigh... yes, I'm a bit vain. Ha ha! And get this... I am supposed to only drink colored fluids (but no soda/cola b/c of the phosphorous and my kidneys). No more water (I have been drinking over a liter a day- I LOVE water). I also got the okay to eat salty pretzels because my salt levels are low. Jeff found some in a vending machine. Oh my, the salty, buttery pretzels were so yummy. I'm sure my sugars will be messed up for my morning blood sugar check. It was worth it if I need insulin. YUM. He wiped down the bag with an antibacterial wipe cuz we just don't know who touched that bag before me. This is going to be an interesting journey in cleanliness and asking people the right questions before they come into our "safe house." My tremors are getting a bit worse. There will come a point when I won't be able to type on a keyboard for a while until the tremors subside. I'll just have to see how the meds affect me. Lisa stopped by after an evening transplant meeting tonight. Words really can't explain what it's like to talk to someone who remembers everything about Tom's transplant. He had some nice hematomas also- one just like mine but worse on his right arm too! She totally understood when I talked about being bent over and being able to breathe. Someone who lived with a PH person and can tell me fantastic stories about the little victories post-transplant. Talking to her (and Tom when I get outta this hospital setting!) is just so... I think the word I'm looking for is calming. He is almost 13 weeks out and he is just doing so great that it motivates me to take care of myself so I can do great also. I can't believe tomorrow is Wednesday! I really hope I'm outta here on Friday. Fingers crossed, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Love this Katie! Thanks for keeping us updated on where you are in this process. I love you guys and am praying that you'll be home on Friday!

    Love,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete