Saturday, July 14, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Yippee!!! Home and loving it. I'm also very happy not to be typing on the iPad anymore and not have any spaces in my posts. Oye vey.

It's weird how weak I am. I am WEAK. There are 3 stairs up to our front porch and Jeff had to help me because I have lost every ounce of muscle tone. Every ounce. I have to be very careful stepping over thresholds and up a stair or two, but I'm gonna get stronger quickly. I have been standing in the kitchen helping to cook and I get very fatigued, but it's SO nice to be cooking again. Ahhh... we have eaten like kings since I've been home. A few more weeks of this and I'll have some nice meat on my bones! Watching my sugars kinda stinks. I had some fudge last night (hey- it was my first night home!). Heh heh... my sugars before bed were a little high. Oops!

So because my life is a circus, here's how my check out went. Things were fine. Waiting on my labs to come back by about 1pm. The pharmacy was ready. Everything was ready. Jeff went to Chipotle for lunch. I got a chicken burrito with just guacamole and rice. And I had an allergic reaction. My skin started itching and my lips swelled up HUGE. I got a steroid shot and a dose of Benadryl. So even though I could have left at 2pm I ended up having to stay until almost 4 so they could monitor my allergic reaction. Yes, my life is a circus. I was NOT a happy camper with my Angelina Jolie lips waiting to go home... it was a long day...

Today was my first full day of monitoring and pills and finger stickin'. I think everything has gone well so far! I sat outside today and really enjoyed the breeze and looking at my slightly dried out garden :-P My mom was awesome and watered everything so things are starting to perk up again. I am getting used to wearing a mask outside, so that doesn't even phase me.

So that shower the first night was SO awesome. I pretty much came home on Friday and took a nap. I was exhausted. I was worried about falling over in the shower so poor Jeff had to watch me and make sure I didn't fall over. Good thing we have lots of bars and stuff around the shower for me to hold on to.  I rubbed off a lot more tape residue... I can't believe how much tape they used on me, good grief! It felt fantastic not to have a little pump hanging in a bag with a tube I always had to remember about and turn the correct way in the shower so I didn't choke myself with it. I washed my hair 3 times before it squeaked and I used scrub on my face 3 times before it felt normal too. It was an awesome shower. I picked out a new, fun smelling soap and loved every minute of scrubbing off the tape.

My pressure ulcer hurts more and more. The wound nurse came and looked at it before we left and gave us some cream to help it heal a bit. I do have a small dead area that we have to pay special attention to and scrub carefully to try and get it to heal from the inside. I don't know how Jeff gets so lucky to help me with such sexy personal hygiene issues :-P

I napped again today. I am amazed how quickly I fall asleep and how well I sleep. I never slept this well with PH. Maybe because I couldn't breathe... I don't know, but sleeping is so awesome. My chest is tight, but I can still breathe well. I can't wait til the glue is gone. I hope that will relieve some of the tightness in my chest.

Jeff is so awesome and bought me some great lung t-shirts. My favorite says "Got Lungs?" in a pink and black scrolling background and underneath in black it says "Transplant Survivor." Love this shirt. The other one is a cool teal blue color with trees that look like lungs. Tom and Lisa found those shirts :-) My Dad found me an awesome shirt too, but it was a bit small so I am waiting for a bigger size. I love lung shirts!

I am hoping I can start going for short walks by the end of next week. I think a few more days of eating and sleeping and doing very minor stuff around the house will get me some strength. My skin is already looking better and I know my nutrition is better now. I've eaten more vegetables in the last 2 days than I did in 3 weeks in the hospital!

So things are going well and I feel pretty darn good! Max was mad at me all day yesterday :-( but he's slowly been coming around today. Stupid cat. I just want to pet his fuzzy belly. I keep putting on masks hoping I can get close enough to pet him but he's still being a boob.

I'll keep you guys updated! If you wanna stop by and say Hi, lemme know! I'm home all day :-) I'll talk ya through the rules if they aren't up here yet.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're HOME! What an amazing 3 weeks you and Jeff have had, and an inspirational 3 weeks I've had - thanks to you. I've been registered as an organ donor for a long time, and if anything ever happens to me I hope my bits go to people who are as incredible as you, beautiful girl! It would make dying worthwhile :) Love you lots and wish I could give you a thousand hugs.
    Talk soon,
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete