Friday, July 27, 2012

It's not boring around here!

Aunt Cyn and I were sitting at the dining room table yesterday morning.  We hear dogs barking and I look out the window to see a guy with 2 dogs in the middle of the street.  I kind of thought they were playing... until the dogs ripped the guy's jeans.  The guy was obviously freaked out and the dogs just kept attacking.  A million things were going through my head and Aunt Cyn was telling me to call 911.  The guy managed to climb on top of Aunt Cyn's car to get away from the dogs.  I was on the phone with 911 and the dogs ran down the street.  The guy was badly shredded, had 2 pretty bad (bleeding) bites, and was in shock.  Aunt Cyn made me stay inside (Thank You!) and talked to the guy to calm him down.  We got him a bottle of water while we waited for the paramedics to arrive.

Four police cars, a fire truck and an ambulance showed up.  The cops ended up taking the guy home so he could gather some stuff and go get a tetanus shot.  It turns out the dogs live a few houses down (so scary! OMG!) and the owner is out of town.  I guess the dog sitter lost control of the dogs and they jumped the fence and attacked the guy.  The guy walks by almost every day, so I recognized him.  The cops tried to subdue the dogs but couldn't.  Animal control was also contacted and they showed up.  It was freaky listening to those vicious dogs barking just a few houses away.  Jeff and I walk past that house every time we go walking!  We are definitely going to change our route.  I think the dogs will be quarantined for a while, if not put down.  One of the dogs was a pit bull mix.

It was very scary to watch a dog attack basically in my front yard.  It was even more scary to learn that those dogs lived so close.  I don't even want to think about being post-transplant and being attacked by dogs.  Freaks me out.

Aunt Cyn has been awesome!  She cooked ahead of time and filled our fridge with food.  Salads for Jeff, cooked veggies, meats, snacks, cornbread, cookies, yam casserole, hummus, crackers and sugar-free candy.  It was really nice not to have to think about what to do for dinner!  All Jeff had to do was light the grill, throw on the meat and voila! Dinner was ready.

Fred and Kathy brought over fresh veggies and cheese (don't worry! It's pasteurized) from the Farmer's Market.  I did Facetime today with everyone at the family reunion up in Northern Michigan.  Aunt Anne (my Dad's sister) is so much fun!  She and Marty and Mary are coming in a few weeks to help.  I am worried I will be laughing so hard that I'll hurt something!  I think it's going to be wonderfully entertaining having them here :-)  Anne sent Jeff some fudge.  Jeff mentioned fudge and I thought he said something about a sampler size or something.  So I wanted Jeff to have it all since he was working so hard to take care of me.  Well, I get home and there are 3 chunks of normal-sized fudge in my fridge!!  Snack-sized my tooshie!  Uh... sorry Jeff... I need some yummy fudge for my recuperation :-)  Northern Michigan/ Mackinac Island fudge is the best.  They come in chunks about 1 inch thick and about 5 inches across of pure sugar goodness.

I am super sad to miss the reunion this year.  Jeff and I have started going up to see Anne and Greg almost every summer.  Summer in Northern Michigan is simply perfect.  Fresh produce on roadside stands, cherries everywhere, kayaking and hiking, perfect weather (even when it rains!), the cottage on the lake, great company, and cute shops.  Anne has a great backyard- it's huge and surrounded by gorgeous birch trees with leaves that shimmer and look silver in the breeze.  She also has a great garden.  I am super excited about next year!  I'll be strong enough to carry my own kayak from the trailer to the water, I won't need a drysuit for my stupid tube and pump, I won't have to ride Grandma's "stair chair" anymore, and I'll be able to go hiking!  I really love going to antique stores and flea markets as a girls' afternoon out.  And we always go to Harbor Springs, a resort town with super expensive stores that are fun to browse.

I made banana bread and banana muffins earlier today (I doubled the recipe since we had 6 overripe bananas) and am now roasting more tomatoes from our garden.  Sigh... I am gone for 3 weeks and blight completely took over the tomatoes (and something decimated the cucumbers).  The tomatoes are producing tons of fruit, the leaves are just a bit sparse.  But the squash and zucchini look amazing!  There are tons of blossoms that I need to go pick, get some poblano peppers roasted up and make quesadillas with lots of pepper jack cheese.  Yummy in my tummy!  I love food.  All food.  Food (and sugar) make me a very happy girl.

Jeff made me some ginger peach tea, so I am going to sit here and enjoy my tea and Jeff's company before we make dinner :-)  Adios mis amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment