Saturday, July 21, 2012

My one month lungaversary

Wow!  I can't believe it's been 4 weeks already!  It seems like forever and yet it seems like yesterday.  Today was a really rough day.  I slept pretty much all day.  It was kind of hard to breathe also.  Like in an "I'm too tired to breathe" kind of way.  Holly is funny.  She came over, looked at me and said, "Don't you have some oxygen you can breathe?"  Why, duh, Holly!  Good thing someone around here has a working brain :-P  Jeff and I felt so silly for not thinking of it sooner!  So I strapped on some O2 and have felt a little better.  I just think this journey is 5 steps forward, 3 steps back.  I have been checking my vitals all day, so I just think I'm tired and healing.  If I'm not feeling better tomorrow I am gonna contact the transplant doc on call and go from there.  But I am not worried about one bad day.  I had them with PH and generally a day of rest did wonders.

My doc did also quadruple one of my meds, increased several others yesterday and added 2 new ones, which I took today. So that could definitely be affecting me as well.  My poor body is dealing with healing, the crazy meds, trying to add muscle mass, and a billion other things.  I am actually losing weight.  I must be burning an insane amount of calories healing, because I am eating quite a bit!  For breakfast I had a big bowl of cereal, scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon!

I bruised several of my fingers with the blood sugar sticks, so I called my trusty Type 1 Diabetic brother to ask how to avoid bruising my stupid fingers.  I guess, unfortunately, that your fingers get really, really sensitive to sticking and they bruise a bit for a while.  It's really nice to be able to call him and ask how to manage these stupid carbs.  I think that's why my sugars have stayed pretty low so far.  But we keep increasing the meds that cause "drug induced diabetes," so we'll see how much longer I can manage it without insulin.  I don't even have insulin to use!  The docs didn't give me any, which I thought was pretty darn funny.  I've had a few stray high numbers (uh... a bagel and cream cheese for lunch with no protein a few days ago and a bunch of yummy candy from Leanne in Australia).  Dude.  Fruit Tingles rock.  They are fruit flavored Life Savers that tingle like pop rocks.  Absolutely delish.  And stuff called Turkish Delight.  It's chocolate covered gummy goo that tastes like cardamom?  Some other spice I can't think of?  I dunno.  But also delish... and a huge weakness of mine.

I think that's all the latest.  I am really tired and am gonna go get ready for bed.  It's 9pm.  Oh well!  Really hoping when I wake up tomorrow that I somehow managed to go a few steps forward and feel much better.  My fingers are crossed!  I can see how people would get very depressed if there are too many of these days in a row.  I can't believe I am 4 weeks out.  I can't believe I've been home now for a week and haven't managed to kill or hurt myself!  Knock on wood.  I am a huge klutz.  My glue is starting to come off!  I have a 2 inch section with a small slit of a scar and some swelling, but it looks really good.  I think a few more showers and the glue will be mostly gone.  I think the 4 inch section on my inner right thigh will take a lot longer to slough off.  Hoping to go walking tomorrow to celebrate my 1 month!

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    I just celebrated my 3 month lungaversary. Been where you are just a short time ago. Call me if you ever just want to talk. Oh and consider yourself lucky to even taste your food. I was eating like a horse but everything tasted like steel or medicine for about 2 months. Now I can taste the deliciousness of the food I'm consuming. Oh yea I weigh as much as I did when I graduated H.S. 30 some years ago. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete