Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Trick or Treat or just Eat?

I joined my neighborhood e-mail list and have learned quite a bit.  Like don't leave your car doors, garage or house unlocked or you will have stuff stolen.  Duh.  But perhaps the most important thing I learned was about Halloween.  Someone asked how many trick or treaters to expect.  The answer from multiple people?  HUNDREDS.  Like almost 1000!!!!!!!!  Yes, 1000 kids on the busy streets.  Around 300-500 on the less busy streets.  People have actually counted b/c it is so insane.  The get bussed in from Baja and other neighborhoods.  Holy cow.  My first instinct?  Turn off the porch light and run away :-P  But the neighbors say it is quite the experience and seeing the costumes is really fun.  Most people have a rule that no costume means no candy.

I realized that I need to go to Costco to be able to buy that much candy.  I got 450 pieces.  I guess we'll see how long it lasts.  Then I get home and realize what a horrible idea it is for me to hand out candy to 400+ kids!  Seriously?  What was I thinking?  I could dress as a doctor and wear my mask and gloves... that might actually be a solution.  Or I could turn off the porch light and eat all 450 pieces of candy myself... that might actually be a better solution :-D

And I still haven't gotten my flu shot.  I absolutely hate making an appointment to get a shot (which I have to do at UCSD).  So stupid.  So I head over to Rite Aid and the girl about croaks when I answer the questions honestly.  I call the Transplant Team and they said, oh yeah... you can't go out in town because they will be too scared to give you the shot (prednisone, blood transfusion and immunosuppressed).  Gee, thanks, because I specifically asked if I could go out in town and everyone said yes last week.  UGH.  So of course I can't get an appt this week and they only have flu shot clinic on Thursdays.  So next Thursday is the magic day.  What a pain.  It really pisses me off that getting a stupid flu shot is such an ordeal.  I had to drive 45 minutes to get the H1N1 in Alabama b/c the local places in Florida didn't get it right away.  Gah.

The weather here is finally back to good ol' San Diego temps.  Jeff called the Team and we opened up all the windows so we can turn off the a/c.  Oh, the cool breeze is so awesome!

We went to Lake Arrowhead yesterday for a little day trip.  I did really well at 5000' altitude!  No problems at all.  Made it up and down multiple flights of stairs and walked with ease.  I did get a little out of breath at times, but Jeff was too so it was no big deal.

That is really exciting because I want to go skiing in January.  One of our friends has a cabin in Big Bear and we would really love to be able to go.  I'm not a huge ski person... I like the bunny slopes and get pretty tired after a few hours.  We'll have to see if the Team approves skiing... I will be about 7 months out so I'm hoping they give me the thumbs up.  I think the biggest worry would be falling and hurting myself or injuring my healing sternum.  It doesn't get that cold up there so I don't think breathing the freezing air will be an issue.  At least I hope not.

This weekend there is a Fiber Fest in Vista.  Kathy and I are gonna go check it out.  They are gonna have yarn, weaving, spinning, etc.  I saw some 48" looms yesterday at Lake Arrowhead and they aren't TOO big.  It would fit in the house, at least.  Meh, I need to weave for at least a year before I get crazy and buy a huge floor loom!

Fred and Kathy got us a hummingbird feeder a few months ago.  We have 2 hummingbirds that visit us regularly.  They are so much fun to watch!  They also flit around a hibiscus in front of our big window.  The cats go CRAZY.  That is awesome entertainment, I must say.  There are smudges all over the window from Gracie trying to catch one.  But the feeder is empty again, so I must go fill it.  The birds get a little crazy and zip around the backyard seeming all ticked off when they can't get their crack, er, sugar water.  I must bid you adieu.  I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment