Monday, October 22, 2012

Lettuce Soup

The weather today is delightfully cool, gray and drizzly.  It would be awesome to snuggle on the couch with the cat, a blanket and a book.  But I have to go grocery shopping.  Big fat boo.

If it's your turn to cook dinner and you really don't want to cook, threaten to make lettuce soup.  Yup.  Lettuce soup.  We had an insane amount of greenery in our fridge.  I found some recipes for lettuce soup and Jeff took me out 2 nights in a row!!  But I still had to make the soup eventually.

I included delightfully delectable greens such as: kale, swiss chard, baby bok choy, arugula, oak leaf lettuce, spinach, and some parsley (for flava flave).  I told you I had a lot of greens!  It was kind of overwhelming.  They were breeding in my veggie drawer.  With all of that Vitamin K my blood is as thick as tar.

I forgot about the butter lettuce :-(  The orphaned container stared at me in the fridge this morning.  Ugh.  I added carrots and potatoes (but the recipe called for potatoes).  The potatoes are purple.
See?  Not so bad looking...
Oh wait.  Then I pureed it. YUM?
It had an... interesting... flavor.  Jeff (I love that man) ate 2 bowls.  And took some in for lunch today.  Have I mentioned that I love him?  He ate my lettuce soup.  Of course we added lots of parmesan and some Ritz crackers.  To make it a little easier to get down.  Actually, it wasn't THAT bad.  But I am not going to post the recipe.  I made it out of desperation to use up all of that stuff in my fridge.  It might be better with just lettuce (butter, bibb, curly, leafy, whatever) and not a bunch of greens (kale, chard).  I did cook the heavy greens a bit longer to get the bitterness out.  It would be nice if my CSA didn't give me 3 huge bunches of greens every freaking week.  I forgot to order for this week so I really do have to buy some veggies today.  And milk.  And coffee creamer.  For my iced coffee you know.

Oh, in case you were wondering (I know you weren't) the Pumpkin Spiced latte syrup from Williams Sonoma is awesome.  Better than the Coffee-Mate creamer stuff (sorry, Coffee-Mate).  It's really delicious and tastes like pumpkin pie.  I am very picky about my pumpkin flavor (okay, what am I not picky about?) and this is yummy.  

I don't really know if the antibiotics are helping my cough.  I am coughing less frequently but much more violently.  So... not really so sure...  

Meh.  The sun is coming out.  I guess I should go to the grocery store now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment