Saturday, May 5, 2012

A gorgeous day!

Holy cow. It doesn't get any better than this. Sunny and in the mid-60's is pure perfection! The windows are open and the breeze is fantastic.

I went to bed at 9:30 last night and woke up at 8:30 this morning. And I'm still tired! I've been on oxygen for most of the day to fight the fatigue. Yesterday really tuckered me out.

Jeff mowed the lawn and I had a good time inspecting my growing veggie plants. I think my peppers are either overwatered or underwatered. I think overwatered since it's been drizzly and overcast almost all week and the leaves are kinda yellow. I am going to let the garden dry out for a few days. Jeff also weeded the garden. It's not too bad since we put down a layer of mulch, but the centipede grass tends to take over a bit.

I try hard to only garden with surgical gloves (hey- I have lots!) because it keeps my fingernails clean and I've heard stories about people with IVs who garden get nasty, antibiotic resistant site infections. The only thing I can think is that even though they wash their hands some soil nasties remain and then they change their site dressing. I had one site infection a few years ago b/c I got lazy and stopped using the sterile gloves and mask. Stupid. The IV antibiotics were horrible and I am a stickler about not getting another infection.

A few weeks ago we had some really bad winds and the canopy on our gazebo was shredded to bits. So I ordered a new canopy and helped Jeff install it today (okay... he did most of the work). It looks great! Really hoping it lasts a few years before it shreds. I am going to order an extra one now that I know it fits so we have a backup.

I love sitting on our back patio. On Fridays a church nearby chimes their bells on the hour- there is something so peaceful about the sound of church bells floating through the air. Today we could hear a marching band off in the distance.

Poor Jeff is exhausted too. He's covered in grass and dirt from mowing and weeding, so he lay down on the floor to rest for a few minutes (yes, I looked up the grammar of lie and lay and the past tense cuz I never get it right). He's sound asleep- with his sunglasses on :-) We really need a hammock in our backyard. On a day like this I think we'd live in it!

Nothing exciting to really report other than the amazing weather and how happy I am to be in San Diego. Don't know what we're gonna do tonight for Cinco de Mayo, but I am perfectly happy hanging out at the house and drinking some Jeff-made margaritas.

1 comment:

  1. You are smart to wear gloves when gardening. Mom got some nasty fungus in her lungs, which I believe was the result of her gardening and putting down manure. Even though it was composted, I expect there were nasties in it that her compromised lungs just couldn't handle. SO! It you use manure, wear a mask! Actually, may be a good idea for you to wear one anytime you're messing in the dirt.
    We had a few morel mushrooms with dinner tonight. No, I didn't find them. I am the world's worst mushroom finder. Some guy in the woods felt sorry for me and gave me his. Hey, I'll take them anyway I can!
    It sounds like you had a great day! Beautiful days are soul-filling/!

    ReplyDelete