Goodness, it's hot out there. I am really glad we had our air conditioning unit replaced... I doubt the old one would have lasted!
Jeff and I have been so fortunate that we have family who are willing to fly out, stay with us, help out around the house and drive me around for all of my appointments. We will have had people staying with us for a total of 10 weeks when all is said and done. 10 weeks is a long time to have house guests! So I am really enjoying this lazy Sunday afternoon all to myself. Jeff went out to have a few beers with a friend, Jeff's Dad doesn't get into town until tonight, and I am really enjoying some alone time.
The local jazz station is on, I have a snack, and a huge pile of magazines from when I was in the hospital. Kathy brought me a bag full of food magazines. I am really having a good time going through them all. I am discovering a few magazines that I really like, some that are so-so and some that I am meh about. I like Fine Cooking and Food & Wine so far. And while I really like Cooking Light's cookbooks, I don't really care for the magazine. My Mom got me a subscription to Food & Wine and bon appetit. I like the latter okay... I've only read two magazines so far.
I am totally soaking up an afternoon of laziness :-) I saw on a design show that they arranged someone's overflowing bookcase by color... It looked really cool in the floor-to-ceiling open white shelves. My bookcase is dark with glass doors. I really want to try arranging by color, but I don't think it will have the same effect. And we don't have lots of prettily colored books.
There is a part of me that is very ready for Fall. We don't really get "Fall" per se in San Diego... as it doesn't really cool down much. But a drive up to Julian for some apple pie always gets me in the spirit. I love fall football tailgating foods. It reminds me of college. Goodness, I had such a great time at Auburn. It had four seasons and I loved every minute of being there. I loved the old buildings with the wooden auditorium seats for Physics (the subject I hated most). I loved Haley Center and when they got the smoothie place in the bottom I would get an orange smoothie every single morning. I can't even find a place that does a great orange smoothie now! But dang, football season was the best. Unless you went to a school that mostly revolved around football (especially the SEC), it is so hard to understand just how awesome that time of year is. I was in ROTC and the school gave the Marines money to "work" the parking lots and help defray the costs of activities like the Marine Corps Ball. Meaning there were people who had RVs that would come into town on Wednesday or Thursday and park (mostly all over any spare piece of pavement or grass). The Marines' job was to ensure that some of the parking lots around campus were controlled in an orderly way so there wasn't mass RV chaos... The Marines ensured that some of the regulars could park in the same spot every game. As "payment," they RV owners fed all of them! Since I was dating a Marine at the time, I benefitted from being close to the action :-) Chili and red beans and rice and wings and anything else the RV people would cook, we would eat. It was awesome. It is a dry campus, but somehow we never had a problem guzzling down beers. Or sneaking booze in ziploc bags under our shirts into the games to spike the Cokes...
So it's about this time of year, when it's hot and icky, that I start thinking about awesome Fall tailgating foods. Part of me would love for Jeff to become a military history (or any history) professor at some University somewhere with a good football program after the Navy gig is up. The guy is a history genius and I think he would be great at it. Just so that every fall I can enjoy the insanity, the foods, the noise, and the good times that come along with the games.
Phew! That was quite the weird tangent... I think it's the heat and the 11 food magazines I read today... I hope you are staying cool wherever you are! I also hope I'll have more exciting things to write about than my glory days of college :-P
No comments:
Post a Comment