Saturday, August 11, 2012

Feeling Fantastic!

The past 3 days have been absolutely amazing.  I have no idea how I how so much energy, but I am really grateful.  I don't get tired!  If feeling this way is truly post-transplant life, I would do it all again in a nanosecond.  Wow.

Since they took me off coumadin my wounds have been healing at a crazy fast rate.  I am so used to healing SO slowly that it is really amazing to see the progress every morning when I wake up.  I can now sleep fully on my back (I was sleeping propped up on pillows... every night) and can even sleep on my side with no discomfort or pain!  I don't need the little pillow under my bootie for my pressure ulcer either.

I squatted down yesterday to get a skillet out of the cabinet and when I stood up I didn't get light headed.  Didn't have to rest or catch my breath.  I just stood up, turned around and put the skillet on the stove.  Like a normal person.  A normal person!

Patty and I went to Nordstrom yesterday to look at dresses.  I found a super cute one!  But I hadn't truly seen myself in a full-length mirror since the transplant.  It took my breath away.  I kind of look like an emaciated skeleton with scars.  I put clothes on and I look okay, but wow, I am scary skinny.  I did put a bra on today and it doesn't hurt at all!  But of course the size is totally wrong.  I want to go out next week (weekends... BAD for shopping... lots of germy people!) and find a bra that fits and hope that in time my old bras will fit again as I put on some weight.  I am still mad the surgeons didn't slap some saline in me while they were RIGHT THERE... good grief :-P  I coulda used some help in that department.

I know I've said it before, but I am having SO much fun pulling out dresses that I haven't worn in YEARS and wearing them again.  That is one of the most exciting part of this transplant... wearing dresses that I had given up on being able to wear ever again.  I have the cutest strapless sundress that I can't wait to wear out somewhere.  I am excited for the Change of Command dinner in a few weeks!

Jeff and I walked to Kensington Cafe this morning to get iced coffees and then walked home.  My legs were definitely feeling it.  My muscles were weak, but it felt so amazing to get out walking again.  The little hills didn't even phase me.  I wasn't even breathing harder after going up them!  It's so cool to notice the progress.

But really, the most amazing part is how I am not getting tired just doing simple tasks.  It's so motivating!  I know this journey will be full of ups and downs, but just knowing that I can feel so normal is something that I will carry with me through the downs.

But don't worry- I am not overdoing it.  I am still taking breaks and resting, even though I want to tackle a million things now that I know I can.  I can't believe it was 7 weeks ago today.  I am SO thankful to be alive and I am so grateful to my donor family that I'll be able to cross a few more things off my bucket list :-)  Nah... I don't really have a bucket list.  I just have a bunch of things that I still want to do and places I want to see while I have this much energy.  I wish I could really explain what it feels like to go from not being able to walk back and forth from the kitchen without getting out of breath to having enough energy to make it through the day without a nap.  It's like the past 5 years were all some sort of bad dream and now I'm awake and living again.

I know this excited feeling of WOO HOO!!!!! I'M ALIVE! will probably wear off in time, but for now I am enjoying every second of it :-)

Okay, enough about the yippee skippee transplant stuff.  I am also excited to be getting a new garage door.  Jeff went to Home Depot to order the one we want.  We got really cool glass inserts that will look nice with the house and we'll be able to park the truck much farther up on the driveway (the garage door we have now swings out to open instead of rolling up) so we can get the trash and recycling bins out much more easily.  Jeff is also buying a new trash can.  How the heck do you get flat tires on a trash bin?  Our lid is cracked in half (also curious how that happens) and the plastic tires are smooshed and flat.  And of course the previous owner was too damn lazy to replace it.  We could do it through the city, but we can also buy one from Home Depot and it's easier and cheaper that way.  Just the little home maintenance stuff that keeps us all busy...

I am off to try to find my red and green therapy bands from a running injury years ago and use them to help strengthen my leg muscles a bit.  It could be quite the search since I only vaguely remember seeing them in the last few years.  But the fact that I can search for them without getting tired is pretty darn cool.  Loving my weekend so far and I hope all of you are having a fantastic summer weekend!  Get out there and enjoy life!  Eat an ice cream and hug your kids :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment