I was in Brunei on deployment and ended up hanging with some of the British pilots (mostly because they were allowed to have beer in a dry country and I'm no dummy... I go where the beer is). They had these bizarre snacks for us. They were horribly wonderful. They had a flavor of Vegemite and were crunchy. The more you drank the more you liked them. A lot of things are like that.
So I knew the name started with a "T." I met Leanne, a super cool knitting chick who lives in Australia. We got to e-chatting a few years ago and I mentioned that I was searching for these stupid snacks. We finally narrowed it down to Twistees but they never made a Vegemite flavor. That awesome woman sent me every flavor she could find. And then some. But the texture wasn't right and they didn't taste like Vegemite.
Fast forward to yesterday. Jeff and I went to Wine Vault for dinner. Restaurant week special? $35 for 3 courses and wine pairings. And they weren't skimpy pours. So I'm feeling pretty happy and we walk by Shakespeare Pub (a truly awesome bar and I should go to Trivia night with Jeff so we can win). They have a store full of British stuff (duh). So I bounce in (I bounce everywhere now) and scour the snacks. SCORE! I find Fry's Turkish Delight. It's rose flavored gelatinous goo wrapped in chocolate. Absolutely delicious. Reese's peanut butter cups and Turkish Delight are about tied on my candybar happiness spectrum. I absolutely love how they call sugar "energy" in kilojoules. Because sugar IS energy...
I also made some chicken stock yesterday. I'm a 16 qt stockpot slinging queen. It got nice and gelatinous when it cooled (a good thing supposedly) and I can't wait to use it in risotto! I'm almost an Ina Garten clone... hahaha! Okay, that's Jeff helping me because I accidentally poured hot chicken stock on my fingers and he was worried that I would end up burning all my skin off. He's awesome :-)
It made 5 quarts so I have lots in my freezer.
Yes, you can find Turkish Delight and Twiglets on Amazon (really, what can't you find on Amazon?). So I might restock there. But I kind of like the hunt. There is another British food place in University Heights that I should check out. Easier parking than Shakespeare's.




No comments:
Post a Comment