Tuesday, January 29, 2013

She skis!

Jeff and I went up to Big Bear Lake last weekend to ski with some friends.  We skied at Bear Mountain the first day and had a fantastic time.  I did about 6 runs (they are pretty short) before deciding I should stop because my muscles would be killing me the next day.  It was awesome.

On the lift. Wheee!  
Much better pic! 
The second day we skied Snow Summit (well, after Jeff scoped out the uncrowded Lodge at the top of the mountain and he assured me it wasn't a scary germfest of people- like the bottom Lodge).  This day was more tiring and I was out of breath a lot more.  I only did 3 runs and decided to stop.  By Sunday morning I had pretty bad altitude sickness.  So Jeff high-tailed it down the mountain to get me some relief.  I spent most of Sunday, Monday, and today recovering.  Sigh.  Hope tomorrow is better.  Called the Team and they aren't too concerned.  Just overdid it a bit :-/

But can I tell you how AMAZING it was to be able to ski?  My muscles felt great and I was in control and it was awesome.  Really, really awesome.  The whole time I just kept thanking my donor.  I had a fantastic weekend because of them!  But I did tell Jeff only day trips from now on... the headaches, fatigue, cough, and nausea just aren't worth a longer stay.  Ugh.

So I didn't do much of anything yesterday.  But I was getting a little restless today so I decided to bake some no-knead peasant bread.

Link to Peasant Bread Recipe

After baking.
Looks pretty tasty....


But check out the bottom!!  Buttered, yummy goodness.  My crust got so nice and crisp.



Glad it made 2 loaves!  My bowls are a little bigger than hers, which I think is why it didn't rise as high in the oven.  I also only waited 1 hr on the first rise (it was huge!) before punching, but next time I'll wait 1.5 hrs.  I also used 1 cup of kind of old bread flour.  Meh, I need to use it up.

I think Jeff secretly likes when I stay in the house.  I get bored and bake.  Later this week I am going to make a key lime cake with a whole bunch of key limes that Fred and Kathy gave us.  

And I have a funny to share.  About once a year some young military person does something really stupid.  Worthy (unfortunately) of being plastered all over the internet and e-mail and Facebook.  One time it was a girl who used her personal e-mail account (princessmelanie or something equally as unprofessional) to berate a civilian prior Warrant Officer for not signing his e-mail Very Respectfully since she outranked him as an Ensign.  Hi-larious.  This time?  It's a guy still in flight school who wrote a book about how to get jets.  I am SO not kidding.  The comments are priceless.  


Oh, it's around $14 on Barnes and Noble... in case you're interested.  $70 on Amazon does seem a bit extreme... :-D  I'm sure he's a good kid.  But writing a book about becoming a fighter pilot when he's not one seems a bit... I dunno... presumptuous?  Anyway, the comments are kind of funny.  

No comments:

Post a Comment