Friday, September 21, 2012

Walking one step at a time

I went out for a walk on Tuesday.  I got some new headphones (I can't find my favorite ones and I need to order more from Amazon- no store seems to carry the crazy super elusive headband-type headphones that I like that stay on while running) that stay in my ears okay and I had grand expectations that I would try jogging at some point.  Ha ha.

I learned a few things.

1.  This neighborhood is pretty hilly.  Much more hilly that I thought driving around it.

2.  It's much smaller than I thought.  I walked most of the neighborhood (including the cul-de-sacs) in about 25 minutes.

3.  Hills are even worse when you have shin-splints and your thighs and butt aren't happy either.  Shin splints?  How the heck did I get shin splints from 4 minutes on the darn treadmill?  Cuz my shoes are old!!!!  OMG!  How exciting is that?  I get to go buy new running shoes!  Yay!  And I wasn't breathless at all on any of those hills.  Any of them.  Woot woot!

4.  The "ghetto" side (ie. the south side of Adams Ave) is pretty darn nice too.  We looked at some houses on the south side but they were right next to this school that looks like a prison.  Concrete walls and chain link fence.  It looks like a skate boarder park.  All concrete.  I think it's actually a pretty good school, but the side that faces those houses is uglier than sin.  I didn't walk over there on my journey.

5.  The thought of jogging was horrific with my shins so I walked instead.  And then I came home, showered, and fell asleep on the couch.  So I took a few days off :-)

Today I went out and bought new running shoes.  Funny how the ones I want are always sold out in my size.  Seriously.  And they're on backorder.  Of course.  And I don't do black running shoes, even if they are my size.  Ain't no way, Jose.  So I switched brands from my tried and true Brooks to Asics (again, they didn't have the color I wanted but the other color isn't horrific- gray and purple).  They actually felt better than the Brooks!  Interesting...  so I went with the gray and purple shoes that felt great.  I can't wait to try them out!  Maybe Jeff and I will go walking when he gets home from work today.

We were supposed to meet some friends for dinner tonight, but he has a horrible cold and I'm too scared to even be at opposite ends of the table.  My "cousin" (she's my cousin third removed or something) was supposed to come visit but she got a cold too!!  It really sucks not to be able to see people b/c they are sick, but I'd rather not see them now and live to see them again when they feel fine.   I am just SO thankful that they are willing to tell me!  It makes me love them even more :-)  Ashley felt so bad about it that she sent us a Giordano's pizza from Chicago.  Yes, we had a pizza overnighted to us from Chicago!  That girl is crazy.  And it was a REALLY amazing pizza!  Jeff and I are New York style pizza lovers.  Thin, crispy crusts make my heart sing.  But this pizza has changed my heart a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I've had deep dish pizza before... but it was always too bready and heavy and not very good.  There is a place here called Lefty's Chicago pizza or something and it gets GREAT reviews.  Jeff and I drive by and always talk about trying it... I don't think it will be as good as Giordano's, but we need to give it a try.

And because I know you all probably don't believe me when I say that everything is sunshine and roses, I'll tell you how bad I've been.  So, so very bad.  I have been eating fried eggs with runny yolks.  Yup.  Ordered bibimbap at a restaurant and the waiter asked if we wanted egg on top.  I said yes before I even thought about it.  I realized it, but I really wanted it with egg so I didn't track down the waiter to change it.  And it was delicious.  I had crab cake eggs benedict with a lobster cream sauce and didn't care!  Ha ha!  I'm eating raw veggies at restaurants (no salads yet, though).  I figure julienned carrot garnish is probably okay.  I'm still nervous about lettuce in restaurants.  I'm eating moldy cheese and loving it.  Yummy bleu cheese!!!!  You can't have cheese and bread without honey, so I've been eating that too.  The good raw stuff from local hives.  And I've been drinking wine.  Oh, how I've missed wine.  It gave me such horrific jaw pain from the old meds I was on that I basically stopped drinking it for years!  But I ordered a flight of reds one night and enjoyed every last sip.  Had 2 glasses of Sangria last night.  My liver is probably going to croak but if my enzymes get more elevated than they already are (my liver enzymes have been elevated for years... good thing I trained it well in college so it can really handle a beating) I'll stop.  But I don't think 2-3 drinks a week will kill me... too quickly anyway.

If the only real worry is food poisoning, then I am eating almost everything I used to eat.  I've had food poisoning... oddly enough from cooked fish (twice) in FL, a hamburger from Steak & Shake in FL, oysters in FL, and mussels in CA.  Hmmm.... I see a trend of badly prepared food in FL.  I won't eat sushi yet, no steak carpaccio and definitely no oysters or mussels.

Sigh... Max just yakked on the floor.  Twice.  I gotta go clean up cat puke.  Oh joy.  Hope you all have a great weekend!  Tomorrow night is the Change of Command dinner.  I am so excited!!  I get to dress up and look pretty!  No pump to hide in a pair of Spanx!  I'll make sure we get some pictures so I can post them here.  Shoot- the cat puke is waiting for me!  Sayonara, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment