I went to the gym last Monday and after a pretty serious walk on the treadmill I decided to try and run. I jogged for a minute and a half! I was very proud of myself. I've been trying to pay attention to how I'm feeling as much as possible when I work out so I can enjoy it and then try to explain how it feels to you. But it's really hard to describe how it feels to be able to work up a sweat again. It's not really a feeling of euphoria, but more like that comfortable feeling when you're doing something you've done before. Okay, so I decided to try jogging. I cranked it up to a whopping 3.9 on the treadmill... and started the insane pounding on all of my joints. Holy cow. Why do we do this to ourselves? The first thing I noticed was my ankles. It wasn't really pain, per se, but more of a screaming of my joints. My knees were next. They weren't too happy to be pounding on the treadmill either. BUT.... the breathing was easy. Easy. Like I didn't even pay attention to the breathing b/c I was listening to my freakin' joints moan and crack and complain. But after about 45 seconds it started to get easier (not easy, believe me). I didn't try again last week b/c I haven't had a chance to get back to the gym. Thursdays are horrible at MCRD. It's graduation day from Boot Camp so it's a crazy family fest of germs. I try to stay away on Thursdays :-) And it was over 100 degrees for a few days last week (and the gym is not air conditioned- hey- it's San Diego!) so I was not about to go get my sweat on with a bunch of other sweaty people. Yuck.
So I went again today after bloodwork and ran for 4 minutes!!!!!! Not all at once, mind you, but 4 whole minutes. I did make it almost 2 minutes non-stop! But 3.9 was too slow so I had to crank it up to 4.2. It hurts SO good! My quads screamed the whole time. I keep expecting some ray of light to shine upon me and the angels to start singing... I actually kind of expected to get all emotional or something. Nope. But I think deep down I always knew I'd run again so it's just happening the way it should. It's so freakin' awesome.
It was funny, the front desk girl loudly asked if I was sick when I came in and showed my ID (wearing my mask). I said that no, I wasn't sick- I had a lung transplant and didn't want anyone else's sicky ick! So there! Read my shirt, chickie! Nah, it didn't make it mad but I know they didn't ask the old guy who was coughing occasionally at the other end of the gym if HE was sick. I like the mask... keeps the riff raff away from me :-D
Well, the time has come for Jeff to start working on his next set of orders. What's that you say? Didn't he just go through this to get his current job b/c of my transplant? Why yes, kemo sabe! You're right! They gave him 12 month orders. So he needed to start working his next set of orders the day he got the current set of orders. BUT he was a little preoccupied with my small issue... so he called the detailer exactly one month after he checked in to the Wing and his magnet must have fallen off the board... cuz the detailer had forgotten that Jeff needed to be detailed for a follow on set of orders. Lovely. And of course Jeff needs to rotate early in order to keep his timing correct, so all of those jobs have already been tentatively taken. So we'll see what the BUPERS stork decides to deliver us. Uh... that's Bureau of Personnel for the non-military people. I'm not too worried about it, though. Things always seem to work out well for Jeff.
I am healing really well. I can sneeze and cough without trying to brace myself first! That is sooooo nice, lemme tell you. Trying to make a sneeze less severe just doesn't work. I try rubbing my nose and pinching my nose to avoid sneezing, but sometimes ya just gotta sneeze!
So I haven't been around much because I've been out doing stuff. Well, and I've been weaving. I'll attach some pics. I am getting much better at my edge tension and it is such a fantastic way to use up yarn I would never knit with. I just weave it up and a few hours later, voila! A finished scarf! Oh, and I'll attach a pic of my closet too. Just because I know that some of you don't believe that I organize by color and sleeve length. I do. The rest of my life may be chaos, but goshdarnit my closet WILL be organized! Ignore the shoes scattered all around the house... and yes, I do need 30 pairs of flip flops :-P I love organizing other people's closets too. Just ask Holly and Stacey. I do theirs whenever they let me!
![]() |
| Exciting beyond words... I know... |
![]() |
| A happy family of scarves |
![]() |
| Better color |
![]() |
| My latest creation still on the loom |




So great to hear you're doing well. I'm loving the good news - it's just so awesome and it's like a dream come true.
ReplyDeleteWow, 2 minutes of running? That's longer than I can run non-stop, lol!
I guess your wardrobe is evidence of Type A? I want my wardrobe to look like yours - when are you guys visiting Australia so you organise it for me? ;)
And you're weaving looks fantastic. Just gorgeous, and sounds like a great way to get through the yarn stash a little faster. Maybe I should invest in a loom.
So glad to hear life is good. Think of you every day, and the girls often ask me how you're doing. xoxo